Monday, June 27, 2005

This one goes out to my little sister!!!

The Saturday before last during some more sorting out at my mum's house I found an old English book with a poem I'd written about my sister. Upon reading it the other day she was not best pleased since there were a few bits that were less than complimentary of her!!! I think I was just trying to be honest and reflect all sides of her character (that's my excuse) and I was only 11 at the time so I don't think I'd mastered the notion of tact yet!!! Anyway I thought I'd try to write another poem at some point, a nice one, to make up for it.
As my sister has recently had her car broken into she's not a happy bunny at the moment and so I thought I'd write a poem to try to cheer her up.
So Toni - advance apologies for its cringeworthy nature, this one's for you......
My little sister.
I no longer live at home with my sister
and to be honest I quite miss her!
The funny faces she can pull
and her generally playing the fool,
she’s got it down to a fine art
and so guaranteed to make you laugh.
Yes I love my little sister
so on greeting her I kiss her
in front of friends much to her chagrin,
- my affection she finds embarrassing!
You see it doesn’t matter how much older she’ll be
she’ll always be my ickle sister to me,
So if something’s happened to upset her
I try hard to make her feel better,
like after hearing Sunday’s news
that her car had got broken into.
But that day my humour fell flat
so this poem’s my new line of attack.
I hope she at least values the attempt,
as it really is well meant,
and I’ve stayed up half the night
so I can get the words just right!
Yes I love my little sister
and when she's not around I miss her!

7 Comments:

At 8:56 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

not very busy these days?

 
At 11:17 am, Blogger meg said...

Awww... I think that's nice. The most affection I get from my sisters is when they call me Ug (short for Ugly).

 
At 9:15 pm, Blogger Katrina said...

Thanks Meg. My sister appreciated it too which of course was the main intention.

And to anonymous on the contrary I am very busy - did you not read the words of the poem - "and I’ve stayed up half the night so I can get the words just right".

Some things just take priority that's all. Would you like to declare your identity?

 
At 12:59 pm, Blogger I'm Over The Moon said...

My little sister's bigger than me, She's been beating me up since she was three,
Meg, I find that nickname odd,
I'm sure you've said they called you Mog...

 
At 11:19 pm, Blogger Katrina said...

Well, siblings have their nastier sides too. I have a bad temper and regret to say that I have lashed out at my sister quite a bit over the years. I seem to have spent much of my childhood at one of the two extremes - either extremely affectionate towards my sister or extremely irate with her!!! I like to think things have balanced out in the last couple of years though!!

I've always taken being the older sister for granted until a conversation I had with Toni recently where she said she liked having an older sister to learn from both in terms of my achievements and mistakes. I'd never realised that before and I realised that although I don't have a similar example to learn from it's never bothered me. I've never felt deprived - I've never wished for an older sibling and actually the thought of it freaks me out!!! How many brothers and sisters you have and whether they are older or younger, must really have an impact on the way you turn out I think. And did you realise that the only person I can think of in our circle of friends that also is the oldest and has a younger sister like I do is Leafy, but then she also has a much younger brother too. Most of our friends are either the youngest or they are an only child.

What's it like being a little sister Meg - I just can't imagine what it feels like!!!

 
At 3:34 pm, Blogger meg said...

They called me Mog aswell as Ug. And Shrimp (on account of being little).

I hated being a little sister when I was younger. I never had anyone to play with because, no matter how old I was, my sisters were always that bit older and would either make me play the dog or not play at all. And you spend your whole life wishing you were older, which is quite sad really because suddenly your childhood's disapeared.

I love it now though. It's really nice to have two people constantly on standby to give advice!!

 
At 10:51 am, Blogger Shizue said...

didn't they used to make you walk three steps behind them?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home