Saturday, June 25, 2005

MAKE POVERTY HISTORY

I've just caught the end of The Girl in the Cafe, a film which is part of the BBC's series of programmes about Africa in 2005 (see link for details). Did anyone else see any of it?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2005/05_may/26/africa_cafe_intro.shtml
It got me thinking about the whole Make Poverty History campaign thing which I am supporting and I wondered what other people thought about it as for some reason it doesn't seem to have come up in conversation with friends.

By now you must all have heard something about it even if it's only in relation to Bob Geldof and the Live8 concert thing but just to summarise;

MAKEPOVERTYHISTORY is a campaign that demands an end to world poverty through "trade justice, debt cancellation and more and better aid" (www.makepovertyhistory.org) by putting pressure on world leaders. The Live 8 concert on 2nd July is happening in the run up to the meeting of the G8 (the leaders of 8 wealthiest countries) in Edinburgh July 6th - 8th where influential decisions are made about global economics.

One of the main arguments I've heard against the campaign is that we shouldn't be giving money to corrupt governments and that it'll only be the Mugabe's of this world that will benefit and not the people who are actually suffering. That's no reason not to campaign for fairer global economic change though. Moreover I thought I caught someone saying on TV the other day that the money that would become available through debt relief etc would be ringfenced for specific projects like improving healthcare, and so could not be used for corrupt African leaders to buy themselves new cars!!! I would like to read this in print somewhere though!!

The other complaints I had heard are all anti Geldof - that it's just a bunch of faded has beens who are trying to jump on a publicity bandwagon whilst trying to make themselves feel good at the same time! Now I'm tired of Geldof too (especially with his defensive comments in response to criticisms about the concerts not having enough of an African presence) but again that's no reason not to support the campaign. Surely we should make our decision on whether to support something or not based on the issues rather than the personalities? Does sniping at Geldof give you an excuse for sitting on your backside and doing nothing? No it doesn't.

But that's enough of my thoughts, what are yours.......?

6 Comments:

At 8:47 am, Blogger meg said...

I've been steering clear of the subject because every time I think about it I feel overwhelmed by guilt. This is exactly the kind of thing that I would have felt so passionate about a few years ago. But somehow, in my old age, I'm veering towards complacency and that makes me feel sick.

I need to get my arse into gear and start supporting campaigns like this. Where should I start, Katrina? What should I do???

 
At 8:55 am, Blogger meg said...

Well... thanks for your help... I'm just off to steal from old people and beat up small children now.

 
At 12:57 pm, Blogger I'm Over The Moon said...

I think i would have bought a wristband by now but i don't know where they sell them. Somebode said sainsburys, but ours doesn't have them. or smiths or boots or any of the other usual suspects. It doesn't even say on that advert. you know the one, with a click for every child dying during the advert. can't say they don't have natural rhythm though, eh?

 
At 3:07 pm, Blogger meg said...

You're right. I haven't seen the wristbands anywhere. I read in the Metro that if you can't get hold of one, you're meant to use something else (ie a bit of a t-shirt tied round your wrist). I don't think so somehow...

 
At 10:50 pm, Blogger Katrina said...

I thought we might get a debate going and you'd somehow convince me not to support the campaign but here you both are asking practical questions about the wristbands!! Honsetly!!! I got mine from Oxfam and I have quite a few spares but you can also order them through the Make Poverty History website. Why don't you click on the link on my original post and have a look at the site anyway even if you don't buy a wristband and let me know what you think about it all.

 
At 9:56 am, Blogger meg said...

Don't ask me to have opinions... I'm not good at it...

I can, however, confirm that Oxfam sent me a wristband aswell but the bloody thing was so huge it kept falling off my hand so I gave up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home