Saturday, April 08, 2006

A case of Not In My Back Yard??

I have a rather modest sized backyard contained by a brickwall painted white at one end, and white painted fences on either side. There are no exciting features, the earth below buried out of sight covered by cracked concrete, it's dull grey monotony broken only by the weeds persistently pushing their way through, like defiant reminders that the city cannot completely subdue nature. Natural life has been rationalised in my backyard into a low rectangular brickwall on one side forming what I believe is commonly known as a 'flowerbed' but I've yet to spot any flowers. The brown soil has been disturbed by lots of green shoots recently but these too could be weeds for all I know - the jury is still out.

There is no outdoor furniture - only a few rusty rakes and trowels and a random assortment of plastic piping, broken fencing, dead leaves and a small piece of carcass from an unidentifiable animal.

And then.... this afternoon I spotted a new arrival - a suitcase!!! Now tell me, how exactly do I approach my neighbours about that?!


Case History

- the label shows it has been from Austria
to London Heathrow, accompanied by
a Mr Brown.










13 Comments:

At 9:10 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How bizarre. Do you know which neighbours it came from??

 
At 11:26 pm, Blogger Katrina said...

I'm assuming its the neighbours on the side where the suitcase 'landed' near my 'flowerbed' but when approached about it this evening all knowledge was denied, 'no my name's not Brown', and front door closed very quickly. My mother suggested to the woman of the house that maybe it fell out of the sky and if she should likewise fall prey to the actions of maverick bag handlers from Heathrow to let us know. The lady appeared not be amused. Me and my mother then promptly removed ourselves from the street and disappeared back underground again into my flat feeling rather deflated and rather wet from the rain. :-(

 
At 11:30 am, Blogger meg said...

I would tell the council that someone's leaving abandoned waste in your garden. Of course, not all councils are as efficient as mine (!) and you might get exactly the same reaction as you did from your neighbour.

That's so cheeky of them. Our neighbours dumped a matress in the street. When the council removes things like that for free, I don't understand the point.

 
At 9:18 pm, Blogger Shizue said...

just as long as it hasn't got a time-delay bomb in it.

 
At 12:09 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does it have anything in it??

 
At 7:26 am, Blogger Katrina said...

Well I was tempted to call 999 and report it as an unattended bag!! I thought it might have some clothes in it and that it had been thrown over during some kind of row. But, thankfully it was empty!

 
At 8:57 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's the latest? Is it still there? Has it acquired any friends?!

 
At 10:48 pm, Blogger Katrina said...

There have been no major developments, the case is still there and unless something has crawled into it without me knowing it is still empty!! When I get round to it I'll call the council to find out the best way of disposing of it.

 
At 11:22 am, Blogger Shizue said...

Tie a name tag around it saying 'Lost - in need of a loving family' and plonk it on your neighbour's doorstep and see what happens.

 
At 12:37 am, Blogger Katrina said...

Yeah but if I did that think what worse things I might find in my backyard next time!!!

 
At 3:26 pm, Blogger Shizue said...

Because its a big pick up and you're only allowed 5 free per calender year. After that its £80 a pop. Why should Katrina sacrifice one of her pick ups for someone else's rubbish?

 
At 6:57 pm, Blogger Katrina said...

Thanks for the info Becky - I've been meaning to contact the council and find out what their policy is on large items but I've been too busy with my essays! I've priotised the rubbish in my head over the rubbish in my backyard!!! When I find out what Lewisham council have to say I'll let you'll know - bet ya can hardly wait!! :-)

 
At 9:36 am, Blogger Katrina said...

Bastards! Sorry but I'm angry. Just called council and not only can I not just put it out with the rubbish but it would cost £15.00 to collect! No free pick ups in Lewisham. My alternative is to drop it off at a Civic waste site but I don't drive. Oh the joys of urban living eh? I'm just so angry because 1). I hate people getting away with things like this, 2).I'm not assertive enough to effectively challenge the neighbours and I don't have the guts to throw it back over the fence.

Think I'll try find a rugby player to marry.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home